Monday, August 6, 2012

Temari


If you want a taste of ramen in the MD area, this is the place to go.  This small Japanese café is located off of Rockville Pike (355) off I-270.  In an area where Chinese food is the dominant Asian offering, Temari offers a nice sliver of Japan.  My spouse and I typically crave Temari when we’ve got a hankering for ramen and Japanese curry.  And, since we typically aren’t in the DC area too often, going here and then swinging by the Chinese grocery stores/bakeries works out well.
Temari Store Front –  It’s located in a tiny shopping center off Rockville Pike

So, I’m no ramen expert and I haven’t tried the DC ramen shops to make a good comparison.  However, I have had AWFUL ramen in NYC and I have created pseudo-ramen at home.  So, I know what bad ramen tastes like and I have heard from other friends/acquaintances that the ramen here is pretty legit.

When coming to Temari, my spouse and I typically order a sashimi appetizer, ramen, and curry.  And, we are quite stuffed at the end of the meal.  There are other Japanese dishes (there’s an omelet/ketchup dish that I do want to try one day).  Also, don’t just look at the menu.  Temari posts other specials on the wall (and it’s worth checking out!).

Sashimi combo appetizer ($11.50):  The pieces are a decent size and the fish is fresh.  Nothing too spectacular.  But, it is quite pricey.  My spouse likes the sushi above many other sushi restaurants.
Sashimi Bites – Yummy but pricey

Tonaktsu Ramen ($10.95):  Flavorful broth with a few pieces of pork, rice cakes, and hard boiled eggs.  The broth isn’t salty with just the right balance of meat flavor and oil.  I have had awful ramen where you can feel the sodium seeping into your bloodstream – this place doesn’t do that at all.  There are different types of ramen to try as well.  One day I’ll get to it =)

Ramentastic – Slurp it up!
Katsu Curry ($15.95): My favorite dish here along with the ramen.  A delicious curry (yellow curry) with chunks of pork served with a piece of panko breaded Pork cutlet (aka Katsu).  I think the curry is some type of yellow curry but don’t confuse it for Indian curry.  It doesn’t quite have that pure spicyness nor does it have those lingering flavors of cumin, etc.  But, when you spread the curry over the white rice and take one bite of the fried, crunchy katsu, you’ll be hooked.  

Curry Flurry – My taste buds love it
Temari is a small little café, so it does get packed, but if you’re not picky, the bar is a good place to sit as well.   There is a Japanese grocery store (Maruichi) above Temari.  I haven’t checked I out yet but I think I will try to swing by to check out what they carry.  The reviews on Yelp seem favorable though http://www.yelp.com/biz/maruichi-grocery-rockville.

But back to Temari…if you’re on the Maryland side and don’t want to head into DC, this will definitely satisfy your ramen craving.  And, on a cold winter day, the ramen and curry would hit the spot quite nicely.


Food Quality:
  4 Moos

Service: 
Friendly wait staff and attentive despite being busy.
  4 Moos

Overall Rating:
Overall, the food is delicious and I can’t find a nearby restaurant (not in DC) that serves authentic ramen and Japanese curry.  The dishes are simple but they are flavorful and there’s something comforting about the food that makes me smile.  However, Temari is a bit pricey.
  4 Moos

No comments:

Post a Comment